Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Rough posters

Here are a few really rough designs that I put together on the computer.

I like these first two the most. I created the "bomb" graphic in illustrator, then distressed the printout with the end of a paper-clip and rescanned the image. This poster equates our modern civilization of nuclear-armed nations with a "time bomb". With so many of these weapons in exisitance, it's only a matter of time before someone finally uses one and starts a chain reaction of retalitory strikes. I'm still not sure of the exact wording of the copy for this.This second version of the time-bomb poster would be hypothetically printed with the bomb printed in process black on a background field of rich black. This image is just trying to simulate that idea. I really don't know if it would have a high enough contrast to work in real life.Here are some type studies that I did. I distressed them all in the same way as I did the bomb graphic. I'm not sure which one to go with. Right now, I'm leaning toward Helvetica Neue.
The concept of this design is to create a background texture made of text listing negative side effects of nuclear weapons. It would have everything from "radiation poisoning" to "steals funds that could be used for civil uses". Right now it only has a few things, but I'd come up with some more for the final version.

3 Comments:

Blogger macworkerbee said...

Hey Kyle, I like the first bomb poster the best. The distressed look gives it just the right feel and its very nice and minimal. The headline could use a little work.

The type studies are nice, how did you distress the typography? Illustrator or Photoshop? I would love to know if your method is different than mine. I would go with either Helvetica or Univers because it has better white space. Good work.

11:29 PM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger Kyle Sauter said...

I actually distressed the type by hand. I like to try to do some of that type stuff off of the computer a lot of the time. I made a lazer print of the type, then scratched it up using the tip of a bent paperclip. Then I scanned it again as lineart.

9:19 AM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger macworkerbee said...

Very cool idea. I'll have to play with it. Thanks for posting.

10:04 AM, October 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home